part of speech Introduction

part of speech


part of speech


We can categorize English words into 9 basic types called "parts of speech" or "word classes". It's quite important to recognize parts of speech. This helps you to analyze sentences and understand them. It also helps you to construct good sentences.

part of speech
function or "job"
example words
example sentences
Verb
action or state
(to) be, have, do, like, work, sing, can, must
the1knowledge is a web site. I like the1knowledge.
Noun
thing or person
pen, dog, work, music, town, London, teacher, John
This is my dog. He lives in my house. We live in London.
Adjective
describes a noun
good, big, red, well, interesting
My dogs are big. I like big dogs.
Determiner
limits or "determines" a noun
a/an, the, 2, some, many
I have two dogs and some rabbits.
Adverb
describes a verb, adjective or adverb
quickly, silently, well, badly, very, really
My dog eats quickly. When he is very hungry, he eats really quickly.
Pronoun
replaces a noun
I, you, he, she, some
Tara is Indian. She is beautiful.
Preposition
links a noun to another word
to, at, after, on, but
We went to school on Monday.
Conjunction
joins clauses or sentences or words
and, but, when
I like dogs and I like cats. I like cats and dogs. I like dogs but I don't like cats.
Interjection
short exclamation, sometimes inserted into a sentence
oh!, ouch!, hi!, well
Ouch! That hurts! Hi! How are you? Well, I don't know.

NewerStories OlderStories Home

0 Comments:

Post a Comment